Details on the next Assassin’s Creed game – apparently called Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok – have been leaked. The leak came from an anonymous user on 4chan so, as with all rumours, take everything with a pinch of salt. However, previous rumours and leaks around the Assassin’s Creed franchise have proven to be very accurate, as a Reddit user was kind enough to point out in chronological fashion. As for details on the next game in the series:
Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok will be set in Norse mythos and, like Odyssey, players will have the option to choose between a female or male protagonist. They lead a band of 3 other warriors, which introduces the latest addition to the franchise: drop-in, drop-out co-op. The RPG mechanics of recent entries will still be here, now including different classes and skill trees. Item durability will be a factor, potentially making for a revolving set of weapons a la Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok may hold good news for fans that thought Odyssey and Origins were closer to an open-world RPG than a classic AC title. The hidden blade is back and is far more customizable in terms of cosmetics. Stealth has been upgraded, letting you hide in mud, snow, bushes, bales of hay, and more. Players can also hide in crowds of civilians again, but only if their outfit matches those they’re attempting to blend in with. Parkour has also been upgraded with new animations and the ability to climb trees.
Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok will be officially unveiled sometime in February, and a release date is slated as September 29th, 2020 – making it the first AC title for next-generation consoles. Ragnarok will also release on Xbox One and PS4.
The leak contained plenty more info, including:
- Combat is upgraded with more weapon types and special abilities for every weapon grouping.
- Each weapon can have runes added, be upgraded, and durability increased.
- Replacing adrenaline is a berserker mode which also activates special runes like fire, frost, or lightning damage.
- Sailing returns, however, it will be less combat-intensive and more focused on exploration and travel
- Players now have a reputation system, based on completed quests, clothing worn, crimes committed, etc. Some quests and story missions can only be completed after reaching a certain reputation.
- Conquest battles return to help capture some settlements from templars and players can approach them in a variety of ways.
- Players can also find battles between warring kingdoms occurring dynamically throughout the world.
- Multiple settlements throughout the world can be captured and controlled for trade and currency gains
- Players can organize large scale raids of forts and cities with nearby Viking camps, wait for their own raids, or go in by themselves.
- The assassins are believed to have a connection to Odin and dub their raven drone as “Odin sight“.
- Difficulty focuses more on parry times, player health, and enemy reaction times rather than enemy health.
- Levelling is overhauled to allow players to improve skillsets to gain experience. As a result, level-locked regions and content are gone.
- Some skills are unlocked by reaching a high enough skillset level, some must be bought with skill points, and others are unlocked through story progression.
- The map is massive, including all of Northern Europe. Big cities include York, London, Paris, and Kiev. Every Kingdom is meant to be really unique.
If these rumours are true, what do you think of Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok? Are you happy with the direction Ubisoft is taking the franchise, or would you prefer for it to return to its roots? Let us know in the comments below and check out the Daily Gaming Report YouTube channel for video recaps of the latest and greatest in gaming news.