The next gen rumour mill is ramping up and with Sony and Microsoft seemingly shifting focus we can hopefully expect some concrete news about the next generation this year. With that being said, here are some things we want to see from the next console generation.
- Better, original exclusives – While Sony were dropping hits like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Spider-Man, Microsoft had to settle for 2 new Halo games and a re-release of 4 others, another Gears of War and a whole whost of Forza titles. The only new title they had was the somewhat disappointing Sea of Thieves, along with the cancelled Scalebound.
- Crossplay – The lack of ability to play multiplayer games with people on other platforms is frustrating. Yes you can do it on Fortnite but for some reason Sony seem reluctant to get involved and it’s hard to see why.
- Backwards compatibility – Sony has 4 generations of consoles spanning almost 25 years, that’s a lot of games. It would be incredible if they introduced at least some kind of backwards compatibility with older games in the Playstation 5, Microsoft already allows it after all.
- A digital only option – A lot of gamers these days have forsaken physical copies of games in order for digital editions, so hopefully we can see developers embrace this with at least the option for a console without a disk drive, that would reduce the cost of the unit, making it more readily available to gamers.
- Streaming – Streaming is seen by many as the future, and while it may work in some areas now, the truth is the internet isn’t good enough everywhere for it to be the commonplace just yet. That being said giving people the option of buying a streaming only unit, which Microsoft are reportedly doing, would enable the technology to improve with a wider player base.
- More storage space as standard – Games are getting bigger. Red Dead 2 needed 2 discs, and how often have you had to delete an old game in order to install a new one? With that being said the next generation is going to need a lot more storage space because games aren’t going to be getting any smaller.
Those are some of the things we want to see from the next generation of consoles, what do you want to see most? Let us know in the comments down below.