Video game have certainly evolved through the generations however sometimes that doesn’t mean the games that are released are actually better. Some… In fact, most of my favourite games belong to what I would call ‘the retro generation’. Speaking about retro games here are just a few random facts about retro games that you may not have known!
- The most prolific retro game isn’t Mario or Sonic. It is in fact, Megaman.
- Capcom’s original Mascot was called Captain Commando (CAPtain COMmando) who first appeared in the game ‘Section Z’ (1985).
- Veronaville (the Sims 2 neighborhood) was based off Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.
- The first video game to feature a boss battle was Galaxian in 1979.
- ‘Croc: Legend of the Gobbos’ was originally made to be a Mario game starring Yoshi!
- Originally the backstory of Rayman was that he was a 10 year old boy named Jimmy who gets sucked into a videogame.
- The characters of TV shows Red Dwarf and Blake’s 7 share names with some of Sim City 2000’s cities.
- Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls are the spiritual successors of the game ‘King’s Field’.
- The first video game to be played in space was Tetris.
- The first game Bethesda ever released was American football sim ‘Gridiron’.
Bonus fact! Did you know that the first game in the renowned Red Dead series was published by Capcom?
Let us know some of your interesting and random facts in the comments section below!… Was there anything in that list that you didn’t know? Or maybe you know something that we don’t?
In the meantime, why not check out and subscribe to our YouTube Channel here! Think you have a news tip or want to get involved? Email us at [email protected]
Source: PlayStation Official Magazine 162 (UK)